Thursday, January 4, 2024

Mongolia | Wanders in the Khentii Mountains of Mongolia | Saridag Khiid and Yestiin Hot Springs

While browsing in a bookstore in Ulaanbaatar I came across a short biography of Zanabazar (1635-1723), the First Bogd Gegeen of Mongolia, written by a Mongolian historian. Nowadays Zanabazar is perhaps best known for his artwork. I had already seen examples of his famous bronze statues in the Zanabazar Fine Arts Museum, the Choijin Lama Museum, and the Bogd Khan Winter Palace Museum, but at that point I knew very little about his life. Zanabazar was a polymath who addition to being an artist had designed and built new temples, invented two new scripts for writing the Mongolian language, and fashioned new clothes for monks. He also studied the medical properties of hot springs. According to the author of the biography, these included the Onon Hot Springs, which I had visited on my first trip into the Khentii Mountains, the Minj Hot Springs on the Minj Gol in the northern Khentiis, and Yestiin Hot Springs. The author made no mention of where the Yestiin Hot Springs were located, but I assumed they were somewhere in the Khentii Mountains, where Zanabazar had established a large monastery. The first opportunity I had I asked Zevgee, the Kherlen Valley herdsman who had acted as my guide on my previous trips into the Khentiis, if he knew anything about Yestiin Hot Springs. Of course he knew. He said he had been there numerous times. The hot springs were about a three-day ride by horse from his ger near the confluence of the Kherlen Gol and the Terelj Gol. Thus a couple of years after my first trip into the Khentiis I made arrangements to visit Yestiin Hot Springs.

While on the way to Yestiin Hot Springs I stumbled upon the ruins of Saridag Khiid, the monastery founded by Zanabazar in 1654. The monastery was totally destroyed by Zanabazar’s arch-nemesis Galdan Bolshigt in 1688, and for over 300 years the ruins, in a remote area of the Khentii Mountains, were visited only by hunters and plant-gatherers . . .  Continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Italy | Venice | Early Life of Enrico Dandolo

There are few greater ironies in History than the fact that the fate of Eastern Christendom should have been sealed—and half of Europe conde...